Wealdstone 1 Metropolitan Police 0

Picture of WFCSC

Share This Post

A goal from Richard Jolly saw Wealdstone seal a vital three points on Monday night as they look to keep in touch with the playoffs.Stones v Met Police (WFC/S Foster)

Following on from Saturday’s  FA Trophy exit, Stones needed to get back to winning ways and they did that in fine fashion against a strong Met Police side who will no doubt be in the mix at the end of the season.


It was Police who begun on top as Wealdstone failed to get to grips with the game in the early stages, and Steve Sutherland was unlucky to see his glancing header fly just wide before Sam Hurrell dragged a shot inches wide of the far post.

The home side then started to find their rhythm somewhat, and David Hicks hit an effort straight at Police ‘keeper Jamie Butler after a swift passing move.

Tommie Hoban had to be alert at the other end to turn Stafforde Palmer’s effort away for a corner after he had been picked out by Jay Lovett.

From the resultant corner Sutherland saw his header hooked off away by Kurtney Brooks after Jonathan North had flapped at it.

Brooks swung over an inch perfect ball on 24 minutes which picked out Tom Pett, with the youngsters effort beating the ‘keeper but being well cleared by the covering Lovett.

Only some superb goalkeeping from Butler kept the scores level in the four minutes before half time, with Lovett made a hash of a clearance giving Scott Fitzgerald a shooting opportunity. The former Watford striker hit a powerful effort on the half volley which the Police ‘keeper did well to palm away, before saving Jolly’s follow up at the near post.

Stones began the second half lethargically, with Sutherland and Palmer both trying their luck with efforts from distance early on.

Despite the slow start Wealdstone took the lead with their first attack of the half on 54 minutes. The lively Brooks did well to ride a challenge in the centre circle before playing an inch perfect ball over the top to Richard Jolly who lashed the ball across the face of goal and into the far corner.

Alan Massey then came close to doubling the lead five minutes later, embarking on a surging run down the left before being thwarted at the last by Butler.

Tommie Hoban was enjoying a solid game at the back, and he almost proved as equally effective at the other end of the field with 20 minutes to play; hooking a shot just over the bar after Chris O’Leary had flicked on Sean Cronin’s long throw.
Pett then had a great chance a minute later when he made a darting run into the box; however his finish lacked the conviction to trouble Butler.

The final ten minutes were fairly comfortable for Stones as an expected late surge from Met Police never came, and they were able to claim a massive three points.
Next up for Wealdstone is a home tie on Saturday against East Thurrock, 3pm kick off.

Wealdstone: North, Hammond, Massey, Hoban, Cronin, Hicks (Smith 63), Brooks (Chappell 80), O’Leary, Fitzgerald, Jolly, Pett (Dyer 85). Subs not used:  Poniskaitis, Dean, Dyer
Man of the match: Tom Pett
Attendance: 428
Report by Stuart Warren

More To Explore


£15,000 Donation to Wealdstone FC

Funding provided for the new dugouts Wealdstone Football Club Supporters Club (WFCSC) has made a significant contribution to the main club by funding the installation


Easter Raffle Winners 2024

Following the Draw on Monday 1st April the full list of winning tickets and prizes are below. Firstly though we just wanted to say a