Weston-Super-Mare 1 Wealdstone 2 (Sat, 20 Feb 2016)

Picture of WFCSC

Share This Post

Match Report by Alan Hill: Saturday, 20 February 2016: National League South: Weston-super-Mare 1 Wealdstone 2

On a wet and windy day in North Somerset Stones held their nerve and deservedly grabbed all the points as they overcame The Seagulls 2-1 on a very soft and wet pitch at the Woodspring stadium.

The weather had started out quite bright first thing, however as noon approached the light drizzle turned to persistent showers coupled with the wind up the Bristol Channel made it quite unpleasant to be out and about. A little inland at the Woodspring stadium the conditions were no better.

With Wes Parker returning from the dead leg sustained at Maidenhead Utd Utd last Saturday Scott McGleish dropped to the bench and Marvin Morgan again started up front in a now familiar 4-5-1 formation. The home side were missing the influential midfielder Dayle Grubb who had limped off with a thigh injury in their home midweek defeat to Hayes and Yeading as well as the suspended Scott Wilson who bagged a hat-trick against us in the FA Trophy game last month.

Stones started the more assured, indeed a well worked move in the opening minutes between Davies, Morgan & Hudson-Odoi saw the latter’s shot partially blocked by the on rushing Purnell and heading into the net only for the ball to be hooked away by a Seagulls defender to Jonny Wright who flashed his first time shot agonisingly wide of the left hand post.

The first goal arrived on 9 minutes when the Seagulls live wire Joe McGlennon was given too much room some 25 yards out plumb in the centre of the pitch where he unleashed a powerful shot in to the oncoming wind which flew into the Stones net past a despairing Joe Taylor dive. Parity was restored on 28 minutes; Scott Davies found space in the middle of the pitch to thread a delightful thorough ball to Marvin Morgan who despite the attentions of the Seagulls defenders nonchalantly placed the ball in to the home net much to the delight of the Stones fans. Overall Stones had the better of the first half as conditions underfoot made it very difficult for both sides to play fluent football.

Kicking into the wind appeared to suit Stones better after the re-start, some sharp thinking from Jonny Wright in the 52nd minute led to the winning goal, he disposed a Seagulls midfielder and in-turn set-up an unmarked Scott Davies who was able to take the ball into the box, round the home keeper before dispatching his shot in to the net from an acute angle.

The home side shaded possession in the 2nd period but the Stones midfield and defence didn’t put a foot wrong and keeper Taylor was rarely troubled. Shaun Lucien replaced Jonny Wright on 78 Minutes and Jefferson Louis replaced Marvin Morgan on 88 minutes.

Next game is on Monday night (22 Feb) at the Freebets.co.uk stadium when we host Hemel Hempstead Town in the Vanarama National League South kick-off 7.45. Normal Admission arrangements apply, except Under 16’s who can gain FREE entry to this game .

Wealdstone:Taylor, Mcleod-Urquhart, Binns, Parker, Cadmore, Godfrey, Wright (Lucien 70), Harriett, Morgan (Louis 89), Davies, Hudson Odoi,

Attendance: 455

Half-Time: 1-1

Referee: Mr A Quelch

More To Explore


£15,000 Donation to Wealdstone FC

Funding provided for the new dugouts Wealdstone Football Club Supporters Club (WFCSC) has made a significant contribution to the main club by funding the installation


Easter Raffle Winners 2024

Following the Draw on Monday 1st April the full list of winning tickets and prizes are below. Firstly though we just wanted to say a