Happy Birthday to WFCSC for turning 65!
In 1958 it was announced that WFC would hold an ‘Open Meeting’ on 19th February to discuss the formation of a Wealdstone FC Supporters Club. An appeal had been made by the club for a volunteer organiser, and its Committee interviewed Mr Tom Verrall and ‘asked him to get on with the job’. The first meeting was to be exploratory to judge the potential support, but it appeared that before the meeting commenced, 60 people had indicated their interest in joining. A fortnight later, the Harrow Observer reported:
“With the Mayor of Harrow, Alderman H. Grainger as President, Wealdstone FC Supporters Club has now been formed. The immediate objective is to get 500 members by the end of the year. An inaugural meeting was held at the Lower Mead Social Club on Wednesday last when it was unanimously agreed to form the club and invite the Mayor, whose interest in football is well known, to become President. His acceptance was received by return of post. Officers and a Committee were elected and the Chairman, H. A. (Chippy) Luck gave the Football Club’s official welcome and promise of assistance.”
The inaugural Officers elected were: Alderman H. Grainger – President, Mr C. Cluck – Vice-President, Mr T. Law – Chairman, Mr A. Johnson – Vice-Chairman, Mr T. Verrall – Secretary, Mr E. Metcalfe – Treasurer, Mrs Raven, Messrs S. Burrows, D. Turner, N. Vincent, R. Thorne and W. Waterlow were appointed as the Committee.
Ten days later the Supporters Club announced that they had enrolled their 250th member and by mid-March, with over 300 members, the first fundraising function, a Dinner Dance was announced.